Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Oko poly re-opens after masquerades, students clash
Public Relations Officer, PRO, of the institution, Mr. Obini Onuchukwu, said in a statement yesterday that the resumption did not foreclose continued deliberations and negotiation for the payment of reparation for damaged property as demanded by the community.
Properties worth thousands of naira were destroyed during the clash, while several people sustained injuries, forcing the management to direct the students to go home.
According to the PRO, the panel of inquiry jointly set up by the institution and Oko community on the crisis has submitted an interim report.
He added that a meeting of the expanded management had been summoned to look into the matter, with a view to finding a lasting solution.
He directed students in the three campuses of the polytechnic at Atani, Ufuma and Oko to resume lectures tomorrow, Thursday, as examinations would soon begin.
Onuchukwu said: “Since six weeks, the students have remained at home due to the community’s insistence that some reparation be paid. We regret that the situation has disrupted the academic calendar and most worrisome was the threat of withdrawal of the institution’s accreditation for all programmes by the National Board for Technical Education, NBTE.
“Furthermore, the situation is capable of affecting our students from participating in the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, programme, the industrial attachment and the admission of new students if the closure continued.”
“I therefore appeal to Oko youths and all those whose properties were destroyed, as well as those who sustained injuries, to remain calm to allow for peaceful conclusion of outstanding issues.”