Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Victims of Thursday Kaduna twin bomb blasts speak


For the first time, wounded victims of  bomb explosions that rocked the Kaduna  offices of Thisday, the Sun and the Moment Newspapers, spoke to the press on their hospital bed just as another victim, caught in the second explosion that occurred five hours later at Unguwan Muazu, also gave account of how it happened.
All the three were receiving treatment at St. Gerald Catholic Hospital, Kaduna.
Isa Ahmed (Victim of the Kaduna bomb blast at THISDAY office SOJ Plaza Kontogora Road, Kaduna) taking treatment at St Gerald Catholic Hospital kakuri Kaduna . Photos by : OLU AJAYI

The Police said three were confirmed dead and 25 injured. All the three bombers have been apprehended and are also receiving treatment under Police custody.

There was a blast and the earth trembled— Abdulkabir
Danlami  Abdulkabir, 32, is a Panel Beater from Edo state. 

“I came to visit my friend who lives near the place. Unfortunately, he had gone out to supply some products to some people. While inside the house, I heard a lot of commotion outside. I heard, ‘lets kill him! Lets Kill him!’ I asked the mother of my friend what the noise was about.

She said, “you are the only one still sitting here, all the men have gone out to hold a man who wanted to plant a bomb and kill us. So, I rushed out. I saw people beating the man, and he was bleeding very much. Some people were taking pictures of the man with their phones. I brought out mine too.  I learnt  that they found him at the end of Jos Road hiding in an  uncompleted building beside a transformer.  I took pictures with my phone.
“Then they reached the gate of the building. The man pointed at a new Honda car. I cannot remember the model. He said that there  was a bomb in that car  but that he could go and disconnect it.  They said he must go and bring out the bomb.  It was a huge  crowd. Only the man went in. The rest stayed outside the gate.  I was looking for a better position to snap him. Then I heard an explosion behind me. The earth trembled but somehow  I didn’t fall.  Then I found myself in a dark cloud. I even forgot where I was. They was  momentary total darkness.  I found my way out of the dark cloud. As the cloud began to clear, I saw that the boy that was standing in front  of  me  had his legs peeled. He was lying down in his pool of blood. There were many people on the ground too.
As for me, I was wounded in the hand and some parts of my body. A man on a motor bike took me to Rakiya Hospital, before I was brought here.

Believe me, I didn’t see what exploded… may Allah protect the poor—Surajo
Abdullahi Surajo, 25,  was hawking Gala, from Zamfara state. 

On my way to Ahmadu Bello Stadium where I  sell my Gala, I saw a crowd  shouting: ‘there is bomb in that car!’ As I tried to find my way out of the area,  I heard a bang. I didn’t know where it came from. Fragments of things shot into my body. I fell down, and I saw other people lying on the ground too. There was also fire coming up. Believe me, I did not see what exploded.
Then I heard the siren of Police and Civil defence. I was among those they brought here.
Please if you have a way of reaching the people doing this to us, tell them that if they have any problem  with government, they should find a way of solving it. They should leave us alone because we are only looking for means to feed. These are the kind of things we usually see on TV or hear over the radio.

Blood was gushing out like a tap, I thought  the heavens had fallen —Mrs Immaculate
Mrs Immaculate Ezeji,  Women leader of Ukpo Town union.

We lost one of our members at Kurmin Mmashi. My secretary called me and said she wanted to visit  the  bereaved but that she did not know the place. She pleaded that I go with her.  But by that time, we have already heard of the bomb on Kontagora road inside town. So, my husband said that I should not go.  But I objected and said it would not be proper for me as the chairperson of our town union not to visit my member who had lost her husband.
So, I agreed and left to meet my secretary and we set off in her car. I was sitting with her in the front and we were just conversing. We moved on for  some minutes. The next thing was a bang! The car almost went off road. She tried and controlled it .
I suddenly could not see again. My ear was blocked because something entered my ear. I came out of the car. We heard people saying, “It is bomb o! Bomb o! Bomb o!’ . Then I felt as if someone was pouring water on me. When I touched  my clothe, it was  soaked in blood. The source of the blood was my head. When I touched it, it was like a tap was opened. Then two men  came and said that I had to be rushed to the hospital, or else I will die.
I still don’t know what was the cause. I just heard a loud noise. It was as if the heavens fell.

More photos of victims:
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo

No comments:

Post a Comment